New Students | Admissions
Lamar Community College offers great opportunities to international students both academically and socially as they begin to connect and adjust to life in the American culture. It is a place where you know people by name and are a part of a community.
Our current international student population includes students from Australia, Canada, India, Mongolia, Ukraine, Kenya, and the Bahamas.
International Student Entry Requirements
Students should have successfully completed a high school or equivalent secondary education program in their home country. An official transcript with identified graduation date is required. Transcripts not in English will need to be submitted with an official translation from a service, for example, University Language Services.
The TOEFL exam is required. Applicants should score a 450 or better on the paper-based test or a 46 or better on the IBT. Applicants from native English-speaking countries are exempt from this requirement.
As per U.S. immigration regulations, international students must submit proof of ability to pay for the estimated expenses that they will incur for two years of study. This estimate will include tuition & fees, room & board, books, supplies and MANDATORY health insurance. International students are required submit the LCC International Statement of Financial Support as well as support documents such as bank statements and account notes.
Applying to Lamar Community College
- Completed Application for Admission
- Official high school transcripts with official translation if not in English (graduation needs to be identified) and transcripts for prior college coursework translated and converted by a service, in example, World Education Services (WES).
- Official copy of ACT or SAT test scores (if available)
- Official TOEFL score (if resident/citizen of a non-English speaking country) and any additional proof of English language proficiency
- LCC International Statement of Financial Support Form with current bank statement noting funds to support the student for two years from the student, parent, government or private sponsor.
- A copy of an immunization record is also required of all international students upon acceptance. You will be automatically enrolled and charged for mandatory insurance via LCC.
Students from Canada: Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a visa; you must present the I-20 form, your proof of SEVIS fee payment and proof of financial support upon your entry into the U.S. Please make sure that you provide these documents to the immigration officer at the border in order to enter the U.S. as a student;
DO NOT enter the U.S. on a visitor (tourist) visa!
International Student Orientation
International Student Orientation is designed to assist new international students in their initial adjustment to the campus and the Lamar community. Offered prior to the beginning of the fall and spring semesters, orientation provides an opportunity for international students to get settled into their new surroundings, to plan their academic program, complete registration for courses and become more familiar with the surrounding community.
Prior to arrival, students will receive a pre-departure newsletter with a forms packet that needs to be completed and returned. Please read through this information and submit forms by the requested deadline to prevent obstacles in your arrival at LCC.
Orientation is REQUIRED for all M-1, and F-1 and J-1 visa holders as immigration information is gathered and important information regarding regulations is provided to students during this orientation. Freshman on other visas (H-4, E-2, or Permanent Residents) are welcome to attend and may find this orientation particularly helpful to them.